Kirkstyle

Local History / Genealogy > 2016

  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 7 - (27 KB - MS Word)
    The road running through the middle of the village and now called Paradise Road has been in existence since long before there was a village...
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 8 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    Salisbury Cottage was built on part of the garden ground of the farm house of Mains of Kemnay. The plot was leased by John Melvin, farmer, Mains of Kemnay...
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 9 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    We have now reached the crossroads at Kendal Road on our journey through the village of the past. Let us dally a short while and recount some of the folk we have met so far...
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 10 - (27 KB - MS Word)
    The plot across Kendal Road from Reunion was leased in 1896 by Allan Bruce and the next one along to the lane leading down to Aquithie Road was leased by his nephew, James Chalmers and his wife Charlotte Cheves...
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 11 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    In order that the building plots on the south side of Kendal Road should be laid out at right angles to the road, it necessitated the formation of a gushet (an odd corner of land) to the east side of the plots on Paradise Road...
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 12 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    This lane is shown in Henderson's plan of the development of the village in 1860 and was originally intended to run right down to Aquithie Road. It provided a rear entrance for the properties fronting on to High Street...

  • SPRING WALK - (27 KB - MS Word)
    Recently the writer took part in 'the spring walk' – an annual outing with a few friends for a few hours walking and general chat. This year the walk was quite local...
  • FURTHER ESTATE DEVELOPMENT - (27 KB - MS Word)
    Carrying on along the road to Leschangie, which, in 1790 was called 'Green Kertle Road', the first field on the right hand side beyond the wood, which is now covered in rushes, was, in 1790, part of the 'Burntland' ...
  • COSTS OF DEVELOPMENT - (26 KB - MS Word)
    For the last two months we have been looking at the developments which George Burnett made to part of his estate during the middle of the 18th century, on what was known at that time as 'Farm of Kemnay'. Many different skills were required...
  • FUNDING OF DEVELOPMENTS - (26 KB - MS Word)
    All the developments being carried out on the estate had to be funded and George Burnett had little income other than what might have come in from the estate, unlike his neighbour at Monymusk, Sir Archibald Grant, who married a wealthy widow...
  • FUNDING OF DEVELOPMENTS, PART 2 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    Last month we started looking at how George Burnett acquired money to fund his business projects as also his lifestyle. The interest on the money he borrowed was usually paid at the two main terms ...
  • FUNDING OF DEVELOPMENTS, PART 3 - (28 KB - MS Word)
    £1 7s sterling (£1.35) was paid to Marjory Taylor in Spittal per George Moir of Scotstown, on 16th December 1766, as one year's interest on a loan of £30. £27 sterling was paid to William Mason, merchant at Hiltown as one year's interest on a loan of £600. It is interesting to note that William Mason signed by initials only, indicating that he could not write)...

 

Home | About | Funeral Undertaker | Print | Local History / Genealogy | Contact