Kirkstyle

Local History / Genealogy > 2015

  • STREET LAMP - (8793 KB - MS Word)
    Sitting the other day in front of the village hall my eyes were drawn to the direction sign in the corner of the Bridgeview garden...
  • A BENEFACTOR TO KEMNAY PART 1 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    John Adam was born in Cluny on 3rd December 1877, the son of Alexander Adam, master blacksmith, and his wife Barbara Adam m.s. Baird. He served his apprenticeship as a mason possibly with Alexander & Davidson...
  • A BENEFACTOR TO KEMNAY PART 2 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    Gowanbank received a massive makeover in the early 1930s and the feu was split. The stable block at the top of the feu was purchased by John Adam...
  • A BENEFACTOR TO KEMNAY PART 3 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    As might be imagined, the winding up of John Adam's estate caused somewhat of a furore...
  • A BENEFACTOR TO KEMNAY PART 4 - (25 KB - MS Word)
    By 1980 the deficit in funds of the John Adam Trust was nearly £50 and the tenants of the property, Mr and Mrs Barclay were invited to attend the Annual General Meeting of the fund...
  • A TRADEMAN'S BILL - (25 KB - MS Word)
    Recently there appeared in The Burnett archive a letter addressed to "Mr Georg Abel, Farmer Racharral, Parish Kemnay". It was headed "Craigmile July 28th 1809"...

  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 1 - (256 KB - MS Word)
    A whole generation has grown up in the village which has never seen trains passing through the village. There are far fewer who have travelled on that railway....
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 2 - (290 KB - MS Word)
    How long the merchant's shop had been situated alongside the road from Monymusk is unknown. William Maitland had traded there since 1852 when he obtained the lease at a cost of £15 per annum....
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 3 - (171 KB - MS Word)
    The area of land bounded by Station Road, High Street, St Bryde's Road, and the lane running down to Station Road, was originally divided into three plots.....
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 4 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    One of the few features in James Henderson's plan of the proposed layout for the village, which came to fruition, was a lane which was to run parallel to the High Street ....
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 5 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    In 1865, the plot on the lower side of Blythewood was leased to George Wilson, late chemist in Aberdeen, and his only daughter, Georgina Wilson, who was married to Rev. Thomas Murray, Free Church minister at Midmar. ....
  • GROWTH OF THE VILLAGE, PART 6 - (26 KB - MS Word)
    The road from the centre of the village to Dalmadilly was laid out virtually parallel to the railway line, leaving an area of land between them which was ripe for development.....

 

Home | About | Funeral Undertaker | Print | Local History / Genealogy | Contact