Kirkstyle

Local History / Genealogy > 2008

  • "DOON DON" - (27 KB - MS Word)
    Prior to the building of a bridge over the Don at Kemnay around 1860, there were two methods of crossing the river. One was by boat at or near where the bridge is now situated...
  • THAINSTONE HOUSE - (25 KB - MS Word)
    Mention Thainstone House to most people and their thoughts immediately turn to the hotel complex on the side of the hill above the massive agricultural centre...
  • AN AULD POSTCARD - (581 KB - MS Word)
    Another postcard of Kemnay featured recently on eBay.  It is captioned U.F. Church, Kemnay and features a pristine new tower at the Free Kirk building...
  • CHRISTMAS GREETINGS - (439 KB - MS Word)
    Now that December is with us our thoughts turn to sending greetings to our friends at home and around the world.  How often do any of us stop to think when the sending of seasonal greetings came into being...
  • A POEM - (28 KB - MS Word)
    The following poem came to light as a result of the article in November's newsletter.  'W. M'D', (William Macdonald) we believe, was as an uncle of the Misses Snowie, and it was indeed he who built Incberry...
  • ALL CHANGE AT THE MAINS - (27 KB - MS Word)
    The decade of the 1890s again saw changes at Roslyn.  In 1891, Charles Grant sold the property to Alexander Collie Milne from Disblair near Newmachar for £425. 
  • MORE - ALL CHANGE AT THE MAINS - (27 KB - MS Word)
    The tenant farmer of 57 acres at the Mains of Kemnay in 1881 was Archibald Melvin (77), a member of a family with connections to the Monymusk and Kemnay areas from the late eighteenth century to almost the present day...

  • DOON AT THE MAINS - (93 KB - MS Word)
    The term 'Mains' in the Scottish idiom signifies land in cultivation round the 'Big Hoose' or residence of the heritor and sometimes referred to the Home Farm but sometimes the main farm of the area...
  • A RETURN TO THE MAINS - (27 KB - MS Word)
    The decade of the 1860s saw considerable change in what is now the centre of the village.  A number of the properties were built including Davidson’s Buildings, The Grange, Kinnaird, Blythewood, Albion, Happyland, Laird’s Throat...
  • THEY GROW NOT OLD - (26 KB - MS Word)
    At this time of year when our thoughts turn to remembrance, I thought it would not be remiss to turn our thoughts back to 1946, after the Second World War...
  • MORE ON THE  FREE KIRK - (27 KB - MS Word)
    The 11th November 1841 was one of those days only too well known to the folk of the north-east.  Winter held the land in its grip and the cold wind blew snell round Bennachie as the presbytery prepared to settle Mr Middleton as the new minister at Culsalmond...
  • FREE CHURCH - (27 KB - MS Word)
    As a follow up to last month’s article, a number of our readership may be wondering what the 'U. F. Church' was.  Under the present day format of the Church of Scotland, which is a Presbyterian Church...
Home | About | Funeral Undertaker | Print | Local History / Genealogy | Contact