Kirkstyle

Local History / Genealogy > 2003

  • DAVIDSON'S BUILDINGS - (22 KB - MS Word)
    The remaining piece of land enclosed by the present day Station Road, High Street, St Bryde's Road and the lane leading back down to Station Road, was leased by George Emslie...
  • THE COUNTRY VRICHT - (27 KB - MS Word)
    In any rural community of the past, if one came across a smiddy, there was every likelihood of finding a joiner's workshop nearby...
  • MEMORIES - (27 KB - MS Word)
    I dare say there are quite a few people in the village these days who cannot remember Alehousewells as a green field site...
  • LAIRD'S PLANS THWARTED - (23 KB - MS Word)
    When John Fyfe started quarrying operations on Paradise Hill there was a large influx of workers to the area and a dearth of housing to accommodate them...
  • A SHREWD OPERATOR - (22 KB - MS Word)
    James Meston, a merchant at Bankhead Keig received a lease of land near Kemnay Village at Whitsunday 1872.  This was a triangular piece of land lying to the west of the Alford Section...
  • LESLIE PLACE - (19 KB - MS Word)
    Leslie Adam took a lease of the piece of ground of approximately quarter of and acre across the lane from Gellie's feu on Station Road in 1877...

  • MORE GELLIE AND SOME THAIN - (22 KB - MS Word)
    We are unsure when George Gellie returned from Jersey, but his sojourn does not appear to have been long as in 1891 he was staying at Overtown of Fetternear with his wife, daughters Eleanor Ann (13) and Jessie (10) and four servants...
  • THORPEVILLE - (22 KB - MS Word)
    Alexander Diack who hailed from the Rayne area came to Kemnay, like many others of that era, to work in the granite quarries, first at Leschangie then at the quarries on Hill of Paradise...
  • THE SMITH'S APRON - (22 KB - MS Word)
    In days long gone when life was lived at a far slower pace than at present and when neighbour helped and depended upon neighbour, traditions existed throughout the countryside which were handed down from generation to generation...
  • THE HAMMER ON THE ANVIL - (22 KB - MS Word)
    Let us tarry a little longer in the kirktown of Kemnay, or, as it was described in an article in 1859, 'the village of Kemnay.'  In those far off days before the advent of supermarkets and the like, every parish and community was dependant on its artisans for its very existence...
Home | About | Funeral Undertaker | Print | Local History / Genealogy | Contact